Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Springfield to Champaign, IL

Today was twenty degrees cooler than yesterday but with a nasty twenty mph headwind.  The roads had no shoulders and had a number of potholes to watch for.  The good news was the roads were very rural and lightly traveled.  Harry, Tony, Mike R, Willie, Dan, and I formed a pace-line exchanging the lead very mile to fight the wind.  My quad was still bothering me and it was going to take several more hours to finish the ride, so I called it a day and accepted a ride with 27 miles left to go.  Tomorrow is a rest day and I intend to do just that, rest.

4:17; 58 miles; 1,330'; 2,470 Calories.

There was a Dairy Queen on the route and we stopped for an informal SAG.  I bought a chocolate milkshake (surprise) and walked into the restaurant.  Wham!  Deja vu!  I looked around and said out loud, "Is this Clinton?"  Someone replied, "Yes, it is!"  In 2009, I stopped for a shake in this DQ and introduced myself to ten lovely ladies who had just returned from their weekly aquarobics class.  There were two ladies seated in the right spot so I introduced myself.  They were still there!  Of course, they said they used to be ten but now were two.  It was really nice to see them, again.

The pace line.




























What you don't want to see when you are headed towards the left on a bicycle.

Play time!

Brit on a duck.





































The lovely ladies in Clinton!

Lots of corn.

Mike rode strong despite the wind.  He was first into the hotel today.

4 comments:

  1. Love your stories and photos. But you are not swinging. Sure hope your leg is better with the rest day tomorrow. Ray says he spent 4 years in Champaign after the war :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Champaign ages ago. It was in February and there was snow on the ground. I was visiting a friend there, who was in graduate school, on my way to Ohio for my cousin's wedding.

    Enjoy your rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the DQs, in all the towns, in all the world, you walk into the same one in Clinton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hoot to see the same ladies in the same DQ! And I'm glad to see that you all had time to enjoy some quality time at the playground...
    Hope the quad improves and that your rest day is, you know, restful.

    Haiku for Playgrounds
    by Phoebe
    I love a playground
    Sand, swings, and children laughing
    Can I please play too?
    I climb the teeter totter
    Why do they all run away?

    ReplyDelete