Saturday, June 17, 2017

Hamburg to Canandaigua, NY

Back in 2009, I rode to Canandaigua from Hamburg in a driving rain.  It was raining so hard, I don't remember much about the ride other than the rain.  This year, we were treated to warm sunshine and dry roads.  We spent most of the day on the shoulder of SR 20E.  There was a lot of traffic, but the shoulder is very wide and in good condition.  After the first SAG stop, the climbing began over long NY rollers through dairy country and small towns.  I was able to get my milkshake fix about a mile from the hotel.  It was a long day, riding just short of 100 miles.  We are getting much closer to Boston.

6:17; 95 miles; 4,141' climb, 4,376 Calories.

The three B's, Beth, Bob, and Barry were forced to wait until the regular 7:30 AM departure time instead of leaving early with the dawn patrol.  As a result, there were eight of us: Jack, Willie, Dan, me, Mike R, and the three B's.  Jack pulled the group along before he, Willie, and Beth had enough with the slow folk and burned down the road into the first SAG stop.






































Rider's bags ready to put on the truck.

There are many striking houses along the route.

Today's road.

Big Mike.

Dan. 

Another picturesque barn. 

Dairy cows.

4 comments:

  1. Love the colorful bags all lined up! Glad this time round had better conditions. Can't believe how far you've all ridden -I'm happy when the dog and I do 2.5 miles! Such an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day. Mac was helping you fix your flat. Only day that we got to the hotel before you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so lovely that we get to enjoy the change in weather too! Thank you for sharing these great photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this leg of the ride in 2009, I spent most of the time trying figure out how to pronounce CANADAIGUA!

    ReplyDelete