Thursday, June 8, 2017

Champaign, IL, to Crawfordsville, IN

It was decorate your helmet day!  Check out some of the creations below.

All of the riders departed the hotel at the same time this morning; there was no dawn patrol for today.  Instead of cyclists leaving in groups of two or three, all sixteen of us rode together for a long time, many enjoying a pace line being pulled by the big dogs, Darrell and Jack.  After about fifteen miles, the big dogs turned on the afterburners and disappeared over the horizon.  Dan and I rode together for the remainder of the day and got in to the hotel after Darrell and Jack.  It's too bad Joanne and the Iron Men aren't here to take up the challenge.

Beautiful ride through the corn fields, small towns, and heavily wooded areas.  Sunny skies, 80 degrees max., and little or no winds.  My quads are much better, thank you.

We crossed another state line and moved our watches ahead one hour.  I sprinkled my sand on the state line.  Dan chose to sprinkle powdered soap, in hopes of a clean slate?

4:54; 81 miles; 1,576' climb; 4,030 Calories

Howard, Chris, Mike R, Champ, Barry, Tom, Jack, Harry, Tony, me, Mike S, Dan, Darrell,Willie





























































4 comments:

  1. I love the Welcome sign to Hillsboro!
    And the helmets... well, I truly am speechless. You are a creative bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Hillsboro sign. Are those straws on your helmet? Or Pick up Stix? Do you all come prepared for this event? Glad it was a good day of cycling. About time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cable ties from Lowe's. There's a Goodwill store, a Party City, etc. near the hotel in Champaign. I'm sure Tom came prepared with the nose, bow-tie, socks, etc. but most of us improvised.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I wanted to mention the traffic signals suspended on wires across the streets - I remember that.

    ReplyDelete