Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Niles, OH, to Erie, PA

Back in 2009, it was raining when we left the hotel in Niles and continued raining all the way to the hotel in Erie.  Al and I put our heads down that day and rode hard in the downpour.

This year it wasn't raining.  Partly cloudy skies and cooler temperatures made for a pleasant start to the ride to Erie.  We rode north to Conneaut before turning NE on SR5 towards Erie.  The wind was out of the NE at 10-15 mph so we had a head wind for the last 29 miles.  Even so, it wasn't bad as there were lots of trees long the road to break the wind.  At the beginning of the ride, I rode with the big dogs, Jack and Darrell, for a while before stopping to take pictures.

On the way into Conneaut, I spotted a bicyclist riding in the opposite direction wearing a Michigan jersey.  He turned around and came up behind me, asking if he could ride with me.  IT WAS AL FROM '09.  He had driven four hours to come and ride a little with us.  At first I was confused but then realized who it was as the last I heard he was still in Africa riding his bike.  He rode with me to the White Turkey Drive Inn where I refueled with a root beer float before continuing on my own into Erie.  We are staying in a very fancy Courtyard Marriott on the water front of Lake Erie; tomorrow is a rest day.

5:40; 90 miles; 1,343' climb; 4,266 Calories.

Lots of pictures to share from today's ride:

Today's road.


Howard (CR staff) waiting for the start.





































Fewer old barns in this part of the world.

Cows taking a postprandial nap.


OK, someone explain to me why so many homes in the NE have huge lawns! 



With permssion.

Covered bridge.  Bring a tape measure. 

Amish country

How you know you're in Amish country

Big Al.  What a wonderful surprise.

The White Turkey Drive Inn. 

Rootbeer float. 

Tom, Al, Willie, Darrell, me, and Jack at the White Turkey. 
 CR staff plus one.  Sheri, Robin, Larry, Tom...and Barry.

 Your guess is as good as mine.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're in PA already! What a wonderful surprise to "run into" Al. Glad he was able to join you for part of the day's ride. And the rootbeer float looks great - hot here today, and we could all use one.
    P.S. Phoebe wants a lawn like that one! Perfect for playing ball and running amok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow PA. already!. Beautiful pics and the rootbeer float yum. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum... a root beer float! Hope it was indeed "rich" in flavor. I bet it was a nice change of pace from your normal Chocolate shake. It was nice too that you enjoyed a change of weather this year and got to take some wonderful pictures. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete