Monday, June 5, 2017

Kirksville to Springfield, IL

Long, hot day!  It's 105 miles from Kirksville to Springfield on a bicycle.  Dan and I added a couple of "bonus miles" when we took a wrong turn.  Thankfully, Dan realized the mistake before we added too many additional miles to the trip.

It's 95 degrees in Springfield right now.  The SAG angels took great care of us today, stopping to make sure we had plenty of fluids.

My quadriceps muscle in my right leg is bothering me.  I guess I was a little too aggressive on the Missouri rollers day before yesterday.  I decided it would be prudent to take it easy today.  As a result, I got to ride with everyone for a change.  I started with Chris and Howard for the first few miles; then Harry, Tony, and Mike S;  Mike R, Willie, and Dan; and eventually Tom and Laurel.  Great fun.

Our first SAG stop was at a local community college that specializes in agricultural courses.  The second stop was supposed to be at a Wendy's but it was closed for renovations.  The SAG angels talked to the manager of a Burger King who agreed we could use his parking lot, and gave us all free food!  Of course, I had a milk shake.  What a wonderful thing for him to do.  There's a Steak and Shake next to the hotel so I've already had my first dinner - double cheeseburger and chocolate shake.  Second dinner is in two hours.

Last night at route rap, Abraham Lincoln was brought up as he is buried here in Springfield.  Sheri remarked that her grandmother's stove is the one on display in Lincoln's log cabin.  Tom recounted that he knows someone whose ancestor was Lincoln's first Vice President.  I said I could top everyone as my ancestor slept with Abe.  Joshua Fry Speed was Lincoln's roommate and they shared a bed above Joshua's store.  True story, look it up.

Then, as if it couldn't get any better, Howard mentioned that "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" as a favorite of Welch Rugby fans and he did the sign language version for all of us at dinner.  We gave him a standing ovation.  Of course, he did it again.  Very nice.

Anyway, back to the cycling.  The first part of the day was long rollers into the first SAG, then flat across the Illinois River, back up on the bluffs and flat/flat/flat into the hotel.  We did have a little head wind coming into town but most of the ride was wind free.  Lots of corn fields just starting to grow.

7:15; 108 miles; 2,320' climb; 4,974 Calories.










3 comments:

  1. Well, this is one of my favorite of all your posts so far about your adventure. I love all the "Abe" stories, and the kindness of the BK manager. And Phoebe loves the idea of "first dinner" and "second dinner," and intends to introduce a bill to the California legislature about making this official throughout the state... Safe travels and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of riding today. Glad you listened to your body and took it a bit easier today. It sounds nice too that you were able to ride with others along the way.

    So six degrees of separation seems to hold true. All connections lead to Lincoln!

    Enjoy your second dinner. Two shakes in one day... What's been your record for shakes in a single day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had more than two milk shakes in one day. I wouldn't want to overdo it!

    ReplyDelete