Saturday, June 3, 2017

Chillicothe to Kirksville, MO

"What goes up, must come down.  Spinning wheel got to go 'round."  Today was a roller coaster ride with many, many short Missouri rollers.  The trick is to go as fast as you can downhill and then crash down through your lower gears as you climb the other side in hopes you don't run out of steam before you get to the top.  I swear the rollers have gotten steeper since I last rode them in 2009!

It was hot (93 degrees F) and humid under sunny skies with very little wind to bother the riders.  The first 25 miles were on the shoulder of US 36.  We then joined US 11N, a lightly traveled country road with 148 rollers over 50 miles.  Fun!

4:40; 75 miles; 4,430' climb; 3,911 Calories.

Missouri rollers go on and on and on...






































Nice house in Brookfield.

I was surprised to see a live snake in the road.  It was not concerned with me and the bicycle.  I shooed it off the road after taking a picture so it wouldn't be road kill.

A blue barn! 


Cattle country. 

Gorgeous countryside. 

More rollers. 



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful countryside. Glad you helped the snake.

    Ride on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that house! Lovely. But so hot - yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's 93 degrees with not a breeze in sight, you should be inside somewhere with a/c and a tall iced tea! Something's not right sir. I hope you found a chocolate milkshake at the end of your ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay hydrated and find the heat isn't oppressive while I'm in motion. It's when I stop that I can feel the heat. We had cool weather when we crossed the CA desert, but it has turned hot in the midwest. Yes, I got a large chocolate shake at McDonald's after arriving at the hotel. Yum.

      Delete