Friday, May 26, 2017

Liberal to Dodge City, KS

Leaving Liberal, we continued our journey on US 54E, through Kismet, Plains, Collano, Meade, and Minneola; before turning north on US 283 to Dodge City.  It was forecast to be a little cooler than yesterday, but with headwinds all day.  More straight roads with lots of 18-wheelers hauling cows.  The headwinds slowed us down a lot.  I left with the early birds and spent most of the day riding alone.

6:30; 84 miles; 1,596' climb; 3,579 Calories.


This lovely image was taken by Joanne and tells the tale of today’s ride.





































Last night's Italian dinner with the boys (Mike R, Howard, me, and Chris).

The road.

The wheat is still green.  No amber waves of grain; it's too early. 

Sue, let me get ahead of the cars and trucks in a construction zone.  Saved me ten minutes.  Thanks, Sue.  BTW, the people in Kansas are among the most friendly anywhere.

How dumb were the sheriffs?  Read the damned sign! 
 The Dalton brothers were outlaws in the old west.

A lonely store in Fowler where I stopped to by a cold beverage before riding on.

Cows.  I liked the mixture of colors against the green. 

El Capitan.  Texas longhorn statue in Dodge City commemorating cattle drives from Texas to the rail heads for transportation east. 

7 comments:

  1. I guess I've never seen wheat in its green state before - it's lovely (but also lovely when it's golden). I'm glad Sue let you pass! And I love the lonely store - this is perhaps the same place I stopped all those years ago... hope tomorrow is less windy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few more miles... Won't you be like half way?? Love reading your accounts of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon. Today, we ride past the midpoint between NY and SF, but that's not our halfway point.

      Delete
  3. Glad I missed the headwind. All I can tell you today is I just arrived back in NY: flying time from John Wayne Airport CA to Newark NJ 4hrs.15mins. I guess if you'd been riding at 25,000' you could have had a helluva tail wind!

    ReplyDelete