Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Abilene to Topeka, KS

I can't come up with enough positive adjectives for today's ride.  This has to be one of the great days in the cross country trip.  Northeastern Kansas is beautiful.  We traveled on back country roads with very little traffic.  The Flint Hills are home to many cattle ranches as there's too much rock in the soil for plowing.  Everything was green and the roads went up and down (rollers) for most of the day.  The headwind (what else) was 5-10 mph and wasn't a significant factor in the ride.  It was, however, a long day, 107 miles and I had to find shelter for half an hour when a thunderstorm rolled through.  Tracy had given her Thunderstorm 101 lecture last night, so I knew what to do when I saw the lightening flashes.  It had started to rain and I took shelter with Heinz in a roadside construction hut until the thunder and rain stopped and the sun came out again.

In Dover, KS, is the Sommerset Cafe.  In 2008, Norma Grubb (yes, that was her name) won Good Morning America's Best Pie in America contest with her banana cream pie.  I got to meet Norma back in 2009 and sample some of her pie - excellent!  Norma has since passed away but the cafe and pies using her recipes are still there.  I was happier than a baby goat to stop and eat pie at mile marker 92.  Two pieces of rhubarb pie and a cup of coffee were greatly relished before finishing the last fifteen easy miles into Topeka.

7:15; 107 miles; 4165' climb; 5,030 Calories.

Lots of pictures























6 comments:

  1. Gonna miss this when it ends...and then I have to wait ~11 months to do this ride. Keep spinning and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are going to keep a blog, Mike, please, make sure I have the URL. RSRO (ride safely, ride often).

      Delete
  2. Rhubarb pie is one of my favorites! I'm glad you managed to stop there and enjoy their goods again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been in Kansas for a long time -- I didn't remember it being so beautiful. Or, is it the photographer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos - some make me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got to have some of those wonderful pies again (and a big shout out to Norma in heaven)! It is certainly lovely countryside. And here is Phoebe's ode to pie.

    Haiku for Pie
    by Phoebe
    Why must my kibble
    Be so bland? Fish, pork or beef
    I'd rather have pie
    Apple, strawberry, rhubarb
    Cherry or peach - fill my bowl

    ReplyDelete