Monday, May 22, 2017

Las Vegas to Tucumcari, NM

"It's a long, long way to Tucumcari.  It's a long way to go."  Yes, I know the song is Tipperary but it somehow seemed appropriate.  State road 104E is a very lonely road with very little traffic.  Between Las Vegas and Tucumcari, there's one filling station and huge expanses.  Highlights of today's ride, the Canadian Escarpment, "the Wall," and long rolling roads that go on forever.

It was cloudy and cool all day but we had head winds coming in to Tucumcari.

7:07; 110 miles; 3,356' climb; 4,692 Calories

The pictures tell the tale:

Threatening skies.  Although thunderstorms were forecast, we didn't get any rain.

There's not much out here. 

One SAG stop was at this abandoned filling station. 

I'll bet you could rent this place cheap.  Needs a new roof. 

Looking down the Canadian Escarpment.   1,000 foot drop over three miles. 

Howard looking at the drop. 

"The Wall."  0.7 miles @9%
 

The road goes on forever.  Rollers. 

The payoff at the end.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing country - this reminds me of when I drove through Kansas, filled with all these rolling fields and nothing for miles and miles. I thought it was so lovely. A woman who worked at a small gas station asked where I was from, and I said "Los Angeles" and commented on how beautiful it was in Kansas. And she just looked me straight in the eyes and said, "I can't wait to get out of here." Guess it all depends on your perspective!
    Hope the 9% wasn't too brutal... we did the 190th hill today (slow going but fun).

    ReplyDelete