Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Indio to Blythe, CA

This was not a fun day for me.  It's 97 miles to Blythe from Indio.  We rode on the shoulder of Interstate 10 most of the day.  There's a twelve-mile climb out of Blythe with 2-6% grade.  The wind was in our faces and the road surface was in very poor shape.   It was raining as we arrived at the hotel.  Weird weather this year.  I was pretty beat by the time we finished the ride.  Willie is a saint for staying with me.  Willie is stopping to thank first-responders when he can.  We visited the fire station outside of Blythe and met a very nice fireman who opened the doors so we could see the fire engines before carrying on.  No Dalmation - I was disappointed.  Someone should buy them a stuffed dog at the very least!

6:55 hours, 97 miles, 2,309' of climb, 4,608 Calories.  Yes, I got my large, chocolate mile shake at the end.

This is a shout out to the motorist who stopped to talk to Harry and Tony.  Thank you!

Oh, yes.  I had one of those f-words, a fl@t, just before the second SAG stop.  I walked the last 0.3 miles - it was faster than changing the inner tube on my own.  When I got to the stop, Larry took my bike and replaced the tube for me while I refilled my water bottles and grabbed something to eat.

Dinner is now over and I need to finish this  quickly before I go to bed.  It's 116 miles to Wickenburg, AZ tomorrow with some hills to climb.

The iron men.  No keeping up with these big dogs.

 The twelve-mile climb out of Indio.

FL@T




Note the condition of the roadway.  Brutal.







8 comments:

  1. What a great trip! I can't believe I'm thinking about an Independence, MO Peloton report. Kansas is more flat that anything. Hope your route goes close to Kansas City. I have asked a couple friends from Ballroom Dance to cheer you on. Please keep me posted. Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be in Abilene on Memorial Day and then Topeka.

      Delete
    2. I must check your day's activity before I close my day now. I just must know what you guys did. I calculated you should be in Topeka, KS by Saturday, 03 June 2017, five days away from Abilene. Abilene is 582 miles away. Have a milk shake for me? I am so impressed!!!

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm glad to see that you heeded the road sign and did not pick up any hitchhikers!
    Sounds like a tough day - know that there are many folks here who are following your posts and cheering you and the rest of the group on.
    Stay safe and hope the wind shifts and helps you up the hills today!
    Love you.
    P.S. The Redondo Peloton also did not have such an enjoyable day yesterday, but nevertheless, we persisted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JIM--WAY TO GO!! THIS IS JIM QUIGLEY FROM XC16--LOOKING GOOD! YOU GAVE ME ENCOURAGEMENT AND SOME GREAT RECOMMENDATIONS ON TIRE LINERS LAST YEAR. GREAT TO SEE YOU AT IT AGAIN. LOOKS COOL WHICH IS OK I GUESS GOING THROUGH CA DESERT!! SAY HI TO HOWARD B AND MARY B FROM OUR GROUP LAST YEAR!! I ONLY SEE 2 WOMEN ON THE RIDE--THERE'S TOO MUCH TESTOSTERONE IN THAT GROUP!!
    BEST TO YOU -KEEP THE RUBBER DOWN!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did the motorist talk to Harry and Tony? Were they misbehaving? (I only ask because I would find that very surprising - Harry always rode very responsibly from what I have heard).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The motorist was very curious about XC and asked lots of questions. Harry gave him the URL to my blog and asked me to mention him. xo

    ReplyDelete