Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Albany, NY to Brattleboro, VT

We crossed another state line - into Vermont.  Lots of climbing, one hill went on for 6.3 miles of up to 10% grade.  We climbed up to Hogback Mtn and then had a long, glorious descent into Brattleboro.

Great weather today - partly cloudy skies and cool temperatures in the mountains.  Lots of pictures to share.

5:18; 76 miles; 5,408' climb; 3,904 Cal.

Today's road.

Leaving Albany, riding into the sun.

Willie's 60 birthday today.  He's now officially an old dog.



Deborah, I can send the other horse back if you would prefer this one.

or maybe a moose?

Adirondack chairs are all the rage.

Vermont state line.  Bob, Beth, Jack, Willie (aka birthday boy), Dan, and Mike R.


Dan 






































It's all about Willie.

Robert Frost is buried in Bennington, VT. 

The Road Less Traveled

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

 Hogback Mountain.  You can supposedly see 100 miles on a clear day like today.




I had lunch with Jack.  The other customers didn't seem to notice Nessie in the river. 


7 comments:

  1. You know we want to know about the milkshake.

    Be safe out there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clam chowder and rhubarb pie a la mode was the best I could do. I may have a milk shake with dinner. :)

      Delete
  2. I have been up Hogback Mountain! And many other VT roads. How I loved living back east... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the 8% grade sign for the next two miles and just thought... Wheeeee! Of course, you probably pedaled to get momentum to get up the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downhill was over ten miles and, yes, at times I was pedaling hard to keep up my momentum. I was already on the descent when I stopped to take the photo of the sign. Someone referred to it as "truck on cheese."

      Delete
  4. I hope the Adirondack chairs were not plastic! Your photos are glorious. Such beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and I love The Road Less Traveled!

    ReplyDelete